There are some pets that do not require much looking after. These pets are ideal for kids and for people who just want a companion without having to exert much time and effort, or who cannot afford to exert much time and effort to take care of their pets. Here are the top ten low maintenance pets that are perfect for kids and busy people.
10. Gerbils. Gerbils are safe for kids. Aside from cleaning the cage regularly, these pets are not as demanding as other pets because they consume water and urinate less frequently. This means that there will also be lesser need for refills and change of beddings.
9. Fish. In taking care of a fish, all one needs to do is provide a proper habitat in the form of an aquarium, feed it once a day, and make sure that it has a steady oxygen supply. Changing water and cleaning the aquarium is done once in a while whenever one sees that there’s a need for such. That’s everything that a fish will ever need and it is definitely a small price to pay because it works like a shrink but does not charge as much.
8. Crusty Crabs. Hermit crabs require a tank, some shells of varying sizes, food and water and water misting. This is perfect for kids who will be getting a pet for the first time. The kid may be involved in the whole process from collecting shells and setting up the tank. Feeding and water misting is all that the hermit crabs need.
7. Parakeets. In taking care of the parakeets, one just needs to dispose the sheet of newspaper, or whatever it is that you place at the cage floor to keep dropping and birdseed from being scattered on the floor. Aside from this, you need to refill food and water. Those are just two tasks and will definitely work for busy people.
6. Lizards. Lizards like Leopard Geckos are ideal for kids who are in the stage wherein they are amazed by reptiles and exotic pets. This will be good practice since it has the exotic pet feel but does not require anything more than the basic necessities of food, water, and shelter.
5. Cats. Even dog people will agree that cats are low-maintenance pets. Provide food and water and they are all set. The only worry one may have with cats is the shedding but that’s all. Cats are really sweet and cuddly pets and that can make up for the shedding.
4. Guinea Pigs. Guinea Pigs require daily grooming aside from feeding. These pets are perfect if one is preparing kids for heavier pet responsibility such as taking care of a dog. It teaches them the importance of taking good care of their pet. It is also perfect for busy people taking just a few minutes for petting and spending one-on-one time with these animals.
3. Ants. Well, not just ants – ant farms. It is perfect for kids not just as pets but also a way of showing them how ants work.
2. Snakes. Don’t panic as this is not about pythons and rattlesnakes. Smaller snakes are low-maintenance pets. One just needs to do some minor research about the best type of snake as pet and its food.