Who does not want to be a smart boy/girl in public? But does that happen every time? There are moments when some of our acts raise the eyebrows of folks around us and we, within a fraction of second, become awkward. So the next time you are out for a party or a coffee treat with your pals, you swear in front of the mirror not to make another awkward situation. But does life guarantee you anything? Then there you are, again making some awkward blunders.
So here are top 10 tips you can follow to avoid making any such awkward
1. Don’t be an initiator. If you are new to a party then try not to extend your hands first if you are being introduced to someone. Don’t initiate such introductory gestures. Instead wait for other person to initiate the exchange notes.
2. Keep your cell-phone handy. You don’t know how powerful this machine can be. If you have just committed a blunder, instantly you can keep yourself busy in some game or social media apps. If you don’t have anything to do then just pretend that you have an urgent text to send. You are saved for that moment.
3. Be punctual. Showing up late in a party or festival puts you in an odd situation where everybody else, except you, knows each other and chatting together. Only you are the odd one out. So to avoid such scenario, be there before the party begins.
4. Ask questions and let people talk. Awkward moments happen when you are not a great talker and people ask you so many questions at a time. Either you start fumbling or else you just go into a mute mode. Now, ask people a lot of questions. So you can keep their mouth busy.
5. Gauge the weather before opening your mouth. Often we make wrong calculations of timing. Bad timing can make a wonderful joke fall flat. So try to gauge the temperature of the moment before you crack a joke.
6. Don’t think about the blunder. Now, when the blunder has happened already, you can’t fix it up. There is no way to return back the bullet you have just shot from your gun. Then what’s the point in thinking over and thinking of how it could not have been done or managed in another way? Just forget about that and relax.
7. Give less significance to people’s reactions and opinions about you. After an awkward moment try to go deaf and let people laugh behind you. They are nobody to you.
8. Wear that natural smile on your face. Nothing is like that. If you make that happy-go-lucky impression, probably even if create some awkward moment, they will consider it as fun.
9. If something goes terribly wrong, give it some time. If the silence prevails, let it be. Don’t force to break the silence and make it look like nothing-had-happened-actually. It makes the blunder more apparent.