Considering a country as Isolated does not necessarily mean physical isolation or that there aren’t any countries surrounding these nations. Their being part of this list is considered based on some criteria such as countries that have direct flights going there, percentage of people that have access to the internet, number of tourists, percentage of immigrants and lastly, their imports per capita. Here are the list of countries that garnered the lowest scores in these criteria.
10. Papua New Guinea
This country has a rich and diverse culture due to its isolation from commercialism and infiltration of foreign culture. They are even isolated from their own kind since their two largest cities are only connected by plane. There are only 7 flights in the world that fly direct to Papua New Guinea which is a factor that makes it difficult for tourists and investors to visit. Only 2% of the population has access to the internet and only .4% of the population is immigrants.
9. Guinea Bissau
In this country riddled by civil wars and political upheavals, a once was a model for African development, is now one of the poorest nation in the world. The war-torn country makes it less inviting for investors and tourists to visit. Due to its economic isolation, it has been a port for drug cartels to ship their cocaine to Europe.
A former colony of Portugal, Timor-Leste or East Timor is a country struggling economically due to its previous battle for independence from Indonesia. Only 5% of the population are lucky enough to have electricity in their homes. The remaining 95% aren’t as lucky. Electricity was only introduced to this country during the 1980s, long after it is readily available in most countries.
This predominantly Muslim country was a former French colony. Due to its extremely hot weather, famine is a natural occurrence in this country. Although slavery is prohibited in Niger, around 8% of the population is hereditary slaves.
6. Democratic Republic of Congo
Officially the poorest country in the world, the Democratic Republic of Congo is war torn since its independence and crimes against human rights are rampant in this country. Around 45,000 people are killed in a month and 400,000 women are raped in a year. In a country that’s five times bigger than California, only 1% of the roads are paved.
Due to warfare and the effects of AIDS to this landlocked nation, Burundi is one of the least globalized countries in the world according to the World Economic Forum. It has a single television station and $63 of imports per capita.
Despite of its beautiful landscapes, Madagascar still remains to be isolated from the world due to its frequent political uprisings that scare off tourists and foreign investors. Only 0.2% of the population is immigrants and 1.9% of the population has access to internet.
This predominantly buddhist country has been under military control since 1962 and is slowly reforming its government system. Although Myanmar is slowly moving towards globalization there are still evident violation of human rights such as systematic rape and genocide of minorities by the government. Due to its military isolation, Myanmar even devised their own measurement system.
This conflict stricken country in the horns of Africa country has been without a central government for a long time and has recently established its government system during the 2000s. Violence among people in the country discourage tourists and investors, isolating them from the world.
1. North Korea
Among the most isolated countries, North Korea definitely raises curiosity in the outside world. Previously ruled by their Eternal Leader, Kim, Jong-Il, it is a Hermit Kingdom that prohibits foreigners from bringing publications from other countries. In this country, none of the population has internet access more so; they are also not allowed to go outside of the country. Only a few foreign nationalities are allowed entry to this country.