One of the most detested parts of traveling is packing. Most people are too excited or too anxious to be in their destination that packing becomes a chore especially when it involves shopping or if one has too limited wardrobe. The worst thing to happen is forgetting to pack important things or packing things that you will not be able to use at all, considering the limitation for your baggage weight especially when traveling by plane. Here are ten tips on how to pack wisely:
10. Knowledge is Power. You need to learn as much as you can about your destination. Read, research, and ask. You need to know more about their culture, their customs, and their beliefs. Although some people are very considerate of foreign visitors, it will surely be appreciated if they will know that you exerted effort in getting to know their place. You will also need to know about the weather, places to stay, sights to see, and food to try.
9. Word. If ever you are going to a foreign country wherein a different language is mainly used, be sure to bring your dictionary with you. Although there are times when you may get confused because of some figurative language used in their native tongue, you will surely have enough means to interpret what they said. You can read that dictionary in advance so that you will not need to look up every single word that was said. Paired with tip #10, you will definitely survive and have a good time.
8. What to do? When traveling, there are times when you will have to wait. In the airport, while in transit, while waiting for a friend, or just hanging out in a restaurant or in a park. If you do not want to be bored while waiting, or if you do not like to be bothered, you can bring a couple of books that you can read or a game console.
7. You are what you eat. You can bring “safety” food – these are food that do not need preparations, will not spoil easily, and are easy to eat. Some examples would be crackers, biscuits, cookies, chocolates, and chips. These may be eaten while traveling and just in case something comes up that keeps you inside your room or you just don’t feel like cooking or going to a restaurant. This is also great if you are a picky eater and cannot find anything that you would eat at the moment.
6. Say cheese! A camera is a must. You may need it for documentation if you are on a business trip or training, for souvenir, or for bragging.
5. Sole Sister. To pack light, you should limit your footwear to three pairs. One flip-flops or sandals, sneaks, and high-heeled shoes should be enough for all your endeavors.
4. Dress to impress. Of course, your clothes should depend upon the weather and the purpose of your trip. Just to be safe, bring a couple of relaxed casual clothing, a couple of formal wear, a couple of dresses, a swim wear, and a coat.
3. Back to basic. Think of the things that you could not go a day without – toothbrush, contact lens or glasses if you have any, deodorant, underwear, comb, perfume, lip gloss. These may be placed in a single pouch so you can easily find what you need.
2. What’s up, docs? Never forget to bring all the documents that you can possibly need when traveling. Visa, Passport, Driver’s license, ID’s, credit cards, birth certificate, etc..
1. Wear your attitude. Never forget to bring the right attitude with you. You should have an open mind because you will be exposed to people with their own set of norms and customs. You should be ready for anything because you can never be sure what’s waiting for you in your destination. Be open to changes since you will gain knowledge and develop skills from being in a different place and there may be events that will change your life in a major way. Smile. Let life surprise you.