Decorating cakes can be quite a challenging task, especially for beginners. There are quite a number of tools that can be very vital for decorating cakes. However, here are some of the top ten options of cake decorating, gadgets and tools that are well worth having.
10. Palette knife. If you want the best for your cake’s sugar paste or flower paste, you should consider using the small palette knife for that. In fact, this is the knife that is preferred for almost all types of cakes because normal or fine knives are not likely to help in lifting up these decorations because they’ll slide under the sugar and flower pastes and distort the desired shape. You can get one of these types of cakes from the art stores.
9. Rolling Mat: It’s recommended that you get various sizes of green rolling mats for preparing different sizes of cakes. The sugar paste and the marzipan usually make a more beautiful lift up as compared to the white fat or even corn flour that sticks to the surface. A non slip sheet underneath the cake will help along when rolling the cake.
8. Plastic Rolling Pin: This is a very important tool for people who don’t want to cover every cake they make with a royal icing. Although rolling pins are not very exciting tools, the plastic ones are the most perfect because they don’t crack and harbor germs as the wooden pins.
7. Scalpel: Although you might decide to use knives in the place of this tool, it’s one of the most suitable tools for designing a cake and that is the reason why most designers prefer it. You can buy a variety of blades for making precise cuts when designing your cake. However, because they are usually super sharp, you have to be careful so as to avoid accidentally cutting yourself.
6. Flower Shaper Tool: The tool is very handy in doing several things to your cake. The flattened and rounded end is great for tweaking or frilling the cakes while the narrow end is perfect for creating a line in your sugar paste.
5. Ball Tool: Thin the petals out or frill the sugar paste perfectly by using this tool. The tools have different sizes of balls at both ends. In short, it’s a little handy tool that can help you a lot in decorating your cake.
4. Brushes: You should have various types and sizes of brushes for creating various decorations on your cake. You should have brushes with finer bristles and hard bristles for various designs. You can also use the brushes in creating circular luster designs on the cakes that you make.
3. Scissors: Having more than two pairs of scissors in your kitchen is very important. You don’t have to open some packets of items like rice with your teeth just because you don’t have a pair of scissor. Besides that, you can have special pairs of scissors for cutting your marzipan or sugar pastes and a pair of nail scissors for getting deep into the tight spots of the cakes’ decorations. You can also use some of the pairs of scissors for trimming the ribbons. Always ensure that you keep your pairs of scissors sharp for the best results.
2. Tweezers: These are very important in getting into some of the most awkward places of your cake to remove anything fiddly that falls on your cake. If you don’t use either the small or large pairs of tweezers when decorating your cake, chances are that you’ll spoil the decorations.
1. Ribbon Cutter: This nifty tool has a spool and bolts that are artistically used in creating various width sections on your cakes as you decorate them.