Coenobita variablis known to most people as hermit crabs come in different colors ranging from white to orange. The Crazy Crabs as most people in northern parts of Australia also prefer referring to them are fond of living near the salt waters and only move about 500m inland. Most of the species that people like keeping as inexpensive pets are the size of a tennis ball and only about 7cm long. Although the Crazy Crabs are easy to rear as compared to dogs and cats, they have specific requirements that enable them to stay healthy and happy.
Here are the ten top ways on how you can keep your Crazy Crabs happy and healthy:
10. Build a ‘Crabarium’ or (crab tank). This is a great activity for both parents and kids. If you have kids, you should consider having some good time creating the crab tank for the Crazy Crabs and controlling its humidity and temperatures appropriately. You should also remember to create a good place for them to take a bath.
9. Since the Crazy Crabs are very social living things, you ought to ensure that you keep them in groups. Keeping just one will be too lonely and unhappy for the creature.
8. The Crazy Crabs are also very active and will keep you entertained all day long. However, you have to keep them active by providing driftwood and coco huts for them to be kept busy climbing and munching at the same time. Although you will add these items into the crab tank, you have to be very careful to avoid losing them because these Crazy Crabs are very good climbers.
7. Keep them in a warm environment by controlling the temperatures in the crab tank. Crazy Crabs don’t like being left in cold temperatures. They are most comfortable when temperatures are kept at around 28-30°C. In fact, at these temperatures they get very active and entertaining. You can use items like under tank heat in regulating the temperatures inside the Crabarium.
6. The humidity inside the Crabarium ought to be kept high. The ideal humidity that you should maintain in the crab tank is about 60% in order to enable the Crazy Crab to breath properly. Use a moist sea sponge and add a lid to regulate the humidity to desired levels.
5. Remember salt water is a must have for the Crazy Crabs to stay alive. Provide the salt water because they use it in flushing their shells and of course to maintain their bodies’ salt balance. You have the option of collecting seawater and keeping it under light proof areas or better still making your own synthetic water by following instruction from your pet store. You ought to also ensure that you change the water in the crab tank on a regular basis.
4. The Crazy Crabs will also need fresh water for drinking; therefore, you have to provide them with some fresh water for drinking in another chamber. They should be able to climb in and out of the chamber with ease.
3. You should provide your Crazy Crabs with shells to grow into. Use spare shells such as Tonna, Nautica and Babylonias.
2. Crazy Crabs like feeding on lettuce, coconut and cereals. You should try as much as possible to alternate their diet properly so as to keep them healthy.
1. Use materials such as sand, sawdust and wood shavings or straw as substrate on the base of the Crabarium. The Crazy Crabs will use the substrate in either warming or cooling themselves depending on the current conditions.