At some point of time we all through ups and downs in our relationships, specially in the close ones. Sometimes, we end up breaking up; you may blame it on the other person or the innate human restlessness. Then again after staying away from one another for quite a long time, we start realizing the importance of that person in our lives and want that person back in our lives by any means.
Here are top 10 ways if you want to mend your past bitterness and give the broken relationships another chance.
1. Spot the issues and stop dwelling over the mere symptoms. In most of the cases, we tend to waste time in identifying the symptoms instead of figuring out the disease. Hence find out the real issues which resulted in the break up.
2. Let your pride and ego down. Ego destroys us. Pride does not let us accept the truth or makes us too ignorant to realize the mistakes. So, if you want to mend the broken ways, don’t let your ego or pride come in between.
3. Try to find out mutually acceptable way out. Chalk out solutions which are not convenient and acceptable for you, but for both of you. In fact, put yourself in his/her shoes and think about the possible solutions.
4. Accept your own faults. Yes, because you also have your share of contributions in this break up. So before you start listing the other person’s faults tick yours and accept that you also have committed some grave mistakes.
5. Say ‘sorry’ if you have reasons and mean it. Don’t say it like you are saying it under compulsion. Apologizing will not hurt your self-dignity; rather it’s a sign of brave-hearts. When you are seeking apology, try to give the reasons too so that the other person can make a sense out of it.
6. Try not to be defensive. Sometimes we think we will accept all our faults and take the blame on us. But once you face the person, your past grudges start poking you and you act defensive. Don’t do this.
7. Accept the fact that it won’t be ‘picture perfect’ ever again. Relationship is like a fine glass. Once broken, it will leave its marks forever. So be ready to face it.
8. Open the lines of communication. Open the deadlocks. Don’t wait for the other person to come and break the ice. Most of the cases, both expect the other one taking this initiative. As a result, the hope never sees sunlight.
9. Show your care and commitment. You are committed to that relationship and you are serious about that person too. So show that you still value both the person and relationship.
10. Love them as they are. Remember, nobody is perfect in this world. So step ahead only if you are ready to accept them and love them as they are. The only thing you can do is to change yourself, but not at some cost.